If you’ve arrived here my guess is that like myself, you have also been looking for the best way to make money online as a beginner/with no money to invest up-front. Here I’m going to outline a small beginners guide that will help you learn to make money online, from home, for free. Get a pen and notepad ready because what I’m about to reveal will give you the foundation that you need to get started and build out your online business / passive income sources.
How can you make money online?
Well there are many ways to make money online, not all the methods are worth your time, and not all will suit your skill set or personal preference, but rest assured that there is a method available to everyone. Now, there is something to be said for having patience, as no process of starting an online business will result in overnight success, as with any physical business model it takes a little time before you can start to make profits from your business. And during that waiting period you’ll be putting in the work that will result in the effect you desire which I assume is to create passive income or at least some form of income online.
The first step to making money online for beginners is to think of what things you are interested in. What things do you find yourself spending the most time doing whilst you’re on the internet, on your smartphone etc? What types of sites do you visit, what hobbies do you have in your physical life and what do you enjoy spending your time doing? All of these questions when you thoroughly thought about will lead you to discovering your niche or at least having a better idea of which direction to move towards.
What is a niche?
A niche basically is a situation, activity, or topic that is specially suited to a persons abilities, interests and nature. So in short, it’s the thing that makes you excited. The thing that you’d do whether you were paid to do it or not.
Now if you’re a person that feels like you don’t have anything that excites or interests you, this isn’t a problem. Finding your niche is not always easy, especially online where you can be inundated by so much info that it makes it impossible for you to think clearly. I have a few suggestions for finding your niche if you are in this predicament like I once was.
1. Think back to your childhood. What did you love doing that you would be willing to rekindle an interest for now?
2. What don’t you like? Finding out what you don’t like can actually help you figure out what you do like by using the contrast (what you don’t want/like) to identify clarity (what you do want/like), you can then by process of elimination decide what your interests are, and even come up with ideas of how to improve and get the things that you do like.
3. Start somewhere. If you’ve tried both methods and still can’t figure out your niche then just choose anything. Often times if we just take a leap of faith things can work out for the better. Especially with an online business where no money is needed to get started. If you don’t know what your interest is, then just give something a shot, you might find that through that action you’ll be pointed to what you do like by realizing that the choice you made was not really your full interest. In other words trial and error.
Profiling & adding value
Now that you’ve found your niche, you’ve also simultaneously found your target demographic. However, you could choose to refine your niche further over time into sub-categories where you focus more on one specific aspect of the niche.
You’re going to want to start adding value to your prospective customer’s life, try to get in their head and think from their perspective. Try to think of how you can take them from just being aware, to being a happy & satisfied customer. I suggest creating a profile for your customer/s. Create a document that identifies the following about your customer:
- Customer name (to help you easily remember who your target audience is/what they need)
- Customer age, gender, marital status, age of their children (if any), and where they live (or the types of areas)
- Customer occupation/job, salary, possible hobbies & interests income, and other info.
- Potential customer goals and values
- Customer challenges and pain points
- Where they source their information from & where they spend most of their time online.
- Their possible objections to something that could solve their problems (too expensive, not enough time, etc.)
Once you’ve done this, the next step is to engage with your potential customer in a way they’d appreciate. This could be via video (YouTube, Dtube, etc), podcast, blogs, or social media pages. All of these methods are free to use and help you create awareness in your potential customer’s mind about you and your service/product. Start creating content that caters to the needs of your potential customer, and get them to engage with you by sharing their opinions and struggles, then you offer your solutions.
Now that you have engaged with your potential customer, they have started to feel comfortable with you and trust you, and hopefully by now they are purchasing from you. The next step in making money online is to take the customer’s that have converted and getting them to spread the word to others about you and what you offer. Nothing in this world has more influence in the business than word of mouth. You could have the most amazing product, but if people aren’t’t talking about it and sharing their experience of it with others, then it’s all for nothing.
So you want to create fans by getting your purchasing customer’s to leave reviews of your product or service. Alternatively, you could offer freebies. EVERYONE loves free stuff, however you don’t want to be cheap. Offer your customer’s and potential customer’s something of true value for free. This way they can trust you, and they also have something to go away and speak to others about with excitement.
That’s all there is to it?
Well in a nutshell, yes. This is a beginners guide to making money online, or at least to getting started. There are many other steps and aspects that you can learn about to improve your business overall, and start making money online for free.
If you’d like to learn more, read my previous post where I reviewed the training platform Wealthy Affiliate. Wealthy Affiliate is a free online training platform where you can learn to making money online as a beginner, for free. It gives you all the tools for making a website, and doing the necessary market research, finding the right products etc. You have access to video tutorials, live video sessions from experienced internet marketers and help from others just like you and I that are successfully making money online, you also get ongoing support and training. The best part is, you can join as a starter for free, and you get access to all the tools you need. You can check out my review here.
If you have any questions at all, or need any advice please feel free to comment below. You can also find me on Instagram @siriusaffiliate and on Facebook under the same name.
I wish you success, and prosperity in your journey of making money online.